Many thanks to all those talented kids who entered our Youth Playwright Contest! Congratulations to the winners -- Jeromy Clear and Theo Pat. Great job! We look forward to working with you to stage your wonderful plays this summer at Hattiloo. Welcome to the family!
Our next contest will take place in October.
See below for details from this past contest.
Youth Playwright Contest
Hey kids! Do you love a good story? Do you like to write? Do you listen closely to dialogue between people -- the different ways they speak, hear, and interact with each other? Well, that's the stuff great plays are made of. So if you'd like to try writing your very own play, then a wonderful opportunity awaits you at Hattiloo Theatre.
Our annual Youth Playwright Contest solicits original works of drama from Memphis area students of all ages. Any student is welcome to enter -- and if you've never written a play before, no worries! Many of the world's master playwrights had no formal training in drama. Instead, all they needed was a pencil, some paper, a little work, and a lot of imagination.
Hattiloo will except contest entries according to the parameters explained below. Our expert casts, crews, and staff will evaluate each entry and deide on the very best student-written plays. If your play is chosen as one of the best, you may actually see your play performed in real life, by real actors, on a real stage -- at Hattiloo Theatre!
We hope you will enter our contest and encourage all your classmates to enter as well (or your children or grandchildren, nieces and nephews, neighbors, friends -- anyone who's eligible!). You never know what amazing worlds you could uncover until the moment you sit down to write. And who knows? Maybe your masterpiece will be chosen as the winner and be showcased for a live audience!
Hattiloo Youth Playwrite Contest is open to all elementary, middle and high school students in Shelby County, TN. There are three categories:
Approximately 20 pages
(a 20-minute read or less)
Approximately 30 pages
(a 30-minute read or less)
Approximately 40 pages
(a 40-minute read or less)
- All entries must be submitted on or before March 25, 2011
- Script must be written in English
- Script must contain no more than 4 characters
- No musicals or adaptations
- Unpublished original work only
- All entries must include a one-page synopsis at the introduction (double-spaced, 12-point font)
- If submitting by mail, please send 3 unbound hard copies of a completed script (a single staple in upper left-hand corner) to Hattiloo Theatre
- If submitting online, please upload scripts as Microsoft Word® document or a PDF file.
Download script template
Download submission cover page
Submit your entry online
- Winners will be announced on April 13, 2011.
- Selected playwrights will have their original plays produced and staged at Hattiloo Theatre from June 25-26, 2011.
- Winners will receive a DVD recording of their plays.
- Each winner will also receive 4 free tickets to the premiere performance of his or her play.
All entries should be mailed or delivered to:
Attention: Youth Playwriting Contest
Memphis, TN 38103
*Don't forget to include the mandatory cover page.*
*Don't forget to follow the script template.*
Click here to submit your entry online!
Easy, fast, secure, and free!
Scripts will not be returned, so please keep a copy of your work for yourself. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us for more details. Thank you, and happy playwriting!